GUELPH, Ontario — Canadian Solar Inc. announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2018 ended March 31, 2018.
First Quarter 2018 Highlights
- Total solar module shipments were 1,374 MW, compared to 1,831 MW in the fourth quarter of 2017, and first quarter 2018 guidance in the range of 1.30 GW to 1.35 GW.
- Net revenue was $1.42 billion, compared to $1.11 billion in the fourth quarter of 2017, and first quarter 2018 guidance in the range of $1.37 billion to $1.40 billion.
- Net revenue from the total solutions business as a percentage of total net revenue was 64.2% compared to 36.4% in the fourth quarter of 2017.
- Gross margin was 10.1%, compared to 19.7% in the fourth quarter of 2017, and first quarter 2018 guidance in the range of 10.0% to 12.0%.
- Net income attributable to Canadian Solar was $43.4 million, or $0.72 per diluted share, compared to net income of $61.4 million, or $1.01 per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2017.
- Cash, cash equivalents and restricted cash balances at the end of the quarter totaled $1.19 billion, compared to $1.19 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2017.
- Net cash provided by operating activities was approximately $253.4 million, compared to net cash provided by operating activities of $189.3 million in the fourth quarter of 2017.
- During the quarter, the Company completed the sale of three solar power plants in the U.S. totaling 309 MWp to the Korea Electric Power Corporation (“KEPCO”) for approximately $720.0 million and completed the sale of 142 MWp of solar power plants in the UK for approximately GBP 191.2 million ($267.7 million) to Greencoat Capital LLP (“Greencoat”).
- The Company’s portfolio of utility-scale solar power plants in operation as of April 30, 2018 was approximately 948 MWp with an estimated total resale value of approximately $1.1 billion. Only the class B share value of the Company’s tax equity deal projects in the U.S. is included in this resale value.
The Company’s business outlook is based on management’s current views and estimates with respect to operating and market conditions, its current order book and the global financing environment. It is also subject to uncertainty relating to final customer demand and solar project construction and sale schedules. Management’s views and estimates are subject to change without notice.
For the second quarter of 2018, the Company expects total solar module shipments to be in the range of approximately 1.50 GW to 1.60 GW, including approximately 100 MW of shipments to the Company’s utility-scale, solar power projects that may not be recognized as revenue in second quarter 2018. Total revenue for the second quarter of 2018 is expected to be in the range of $690 million to $730 million. Gross margin for the second quarter is expected to be between 20.0% and 22.0%.
Dr. Shawn Qu, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Canadian Solar, commented, “We expect a shift in global demand to developing markets to offset China, India and the U.S. We also expect demand in other markets to improve, including Europe, Africa, Argentina and Mexico. These trends align themselves with the Company’s global footprint and should serve as a catalyst for continued growth.”
Full results can be viewed here.Tagged with Canadian Solar, financial